Are you someone like me that will research something to the death prior to buying? This is what I do when I buy vehicles and I definitely need to know how much cargo space my vehicle will have because I am normally stuffing it with camping and outdoor gear. Whatever you are stuffing in your Jeep it is great to understand the dimensions of the cargo area and what you can fit in there. This article will break down the size of the cargo space of a 4 Door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL.
Dimensions Of The Cargo Space In A 4 Door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
The quick answer to this question is 31.7 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 72.4 cubic feet with them folded down. To me, that doesn’t mean much so let’s break that down a little further.
Dimensions with the Seats folded up:
- Width between the wheel wells/sports bar (Jeep doesn’t like to call it a roll cage) Supports: 42 inches – “A”
- Width between the two glass panels: 60.5 inches – “B”
- Floor from rear seat to the trunk door: 36 inches – “C”
- Height from rear floor to the roof: 40.75 inches – “D”
- Height from rear floor to sports bar: 35 inches – “E”
- From the bottom of the headrest to the Trunk Door: 28.5 inches – “F”
Dimensions with the Seats folded Down:
- Front center armrest to the Trunk Door: 67.5 inches – “G”
- Height from the folded seats to the Roof: 39 inches – “H”
- 2nd Door to 2nd Door: 55.5 Inches – “I”
- Height from the folded seats to the horizontal sports bars: 32.5 inches – “J”
Please note that these dimensions were made with a tape measure and were taken at various spots on the Jeep. The surfaces were not flat so dimensions could vary by user.
Cargo Space Comparison To Other Vehicles
- Jeep Wrangler Two-door: 12.9 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 46.9 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down.
- Ford Bronco Two Door: 22.4 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 52.3 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down.
- Ford Bronco Four-door: 38 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 83 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. Since the Bronco is the Wrangler’s main competitor it is interesting to see that it offers more space. Perhaps it is trying to fill a void for off-road customers.
- Toyota Tacoma Double Cab: Rear seating is roughly 42.6 Cubic Feet.
- Toyota FJ Cruiser: 27.9 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 66.8 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. Slightly smaller than the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited.
- Toyota 4Runner: 47.2 cubic feet behind the rear seats and 89.7 cubic feet with the rear seats folded down. This is larger than the Unlimited and most likely why you see more families with children driving them around to the mall.
The Jeep Wrangler Unlimited has plenty of cargo space in its class and can definitely hold a trip for two. From my experience when you start to add more people and their belongings you are going to need to look at other options for your gear such as roof racks and cargo boxes. Or if you are deciding between vehicles, you could get a larger SUV/Truck mentioned in the list, but with a larger vehicle comes a larger wheelbase and less mobility on the trails.
Let me know if you need any other dimensions for the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL down below!
Cool Jeep Wrangler Accessories
The Jeep Wrangler is the transformer of the vehicles because of all the cool stuff you can add to it and transform it! There are a million things to add…
Do Jeep Wranglers Have a Backup Camera?
While many of the older Jeep Wranglers do not have a backup camera due to their age, there are many Wranglers that do. Jeep introduced backup cameras on the Wranglers…
7 thoughts on “4 Door Jeep Wrangler Cargo Space”
When you measure the trunk space from tailgate to front armrest with the seats folded down, are the front two seats slid all the way back, or in a driving position? Thank you
The Seats were slid into the driving position which may vary per the height of the driver.
Great post Paul. Thanks. What year is this Jeep you’ve measured? Cheers.
Thank you Mark! The Jeep Wrangler year that was measured for this post is 2019.
What are the dimensions of a 2007 jeep wrangler jk unlimited x 4 door?
What specific dimensions were you looking for?
For the JK here are some dimensions:
42 inches + between the two fenders
35+ inches from sports bar to storage floor
41+ inches from hardtop to floor in the rear
61 inches from the hardtops windows horizontally
67+ inches from edge of tailgate to the front seats when the seats are laid down.
37+ inches when the back seats are up and measurement is from the bottom of the seats to the tailgate.
I hope that helps!